Last time it broke, it was just a superficial injury, fixed by a toothbrush, nail file, and some goo gone. This time, we have a much deeper, yet-to-be-determined problem. This is one last desperate attempt to save its life. The chances are slim, but I’m not giving up hope yet. Hopefully I’ll have some good news to report in a few hours.
Update: 2:54 PM
I removed an extremely greasy thread that was tangled around some of the moving parts. Somehow I doubt that the thread was strong enough to stop the motor from being able to move the metal mechanisms, but I guess depending on the type of thread, it’s possible. Especially because the machine is about approximately 12 years old, the motor might be wearing down slightly. I also used up a can of air to get all the dust out. And I think the toothbrush might have to make an appearance later to clean some of the grimy edges. Now, I’m going to brave the weather (last check, weather.com says the bad storms aren’t coming til 4 o’clock) and go get some oil and see if it’ll run smoothly again after being oiled.
It works! It works! It works! After an extensive period of oiling, cleaning, testing, oiling, (dinner break) cleaning, testing, etc., it finally started working again! I was so excited I could hardly stand it.
Lesson learned: I sew too much to have never cleaned and oiled my machine. I’m a little embarrassed. But now that I have a gargantuan bottle of oil and know how to take the machine’s cover off, I have no excuse.